We have built 12 homes locally. At about $145,000 per home to construct, Berthoud Habitat has worked with in-kind donors and sponsors and maintained a low cost-of-construction for a single family home among both commercial and non-profit developers in the area.
Information on homeownership qualifications are outlined below. Please note that there are English and Spanish versions of downloadable Homeownership Application Packets at the bottom of this page.
- You must live or work in Berthoud or Campion for 1 year or more
- You must be a citizen of the United States or a legal permanent resident
- Currently Payment of Rent is 40% or more of your income
- No bankruptcy in the past two years, no outstanding liens, judgments or non-medical collections
- Currently paying bills on time
- Applicant may not currently own a home
- Turn in all paperwork, including financial documents, on time
- Be interviewed by a selection committee
Habitat Homes are affordable because:
- They are built by volunteers working with future homeowners.
- They are sold at cost and for no profit
- House payments are 30% of the homeowners monthly income at origination
- Berthoud Habitat offers zero-interest mortgage loans
Habitat Homeowners are required to:
- Contribute 250-500 hours of ‘sweat equity’
- Attend budgeting, home maintenance and other classes
Housing Need (for example):
- Inadequate Housing
- Unsafe Neighborhood
- Housing is Temporary or Transitional
Willingness to Partner (for example):
- Attend an orientation
- Turn in all paperwork on time
- Attend classes once selected
- Complete all ‘sweat equity’ hours before moving into your home
- Ability to Pay
Ability to Pay:
- Meet income guidelines
- Debt to Income Ratio 43% or less (Monthly Debt Payments on Credit Report + Potential Habitat Mortgage / Monthly Income = Less that .43)
- Limited number of adverse credit accounts on credit report
- Be able to save $500-$1,000 for closing costs
To download the application packet in English or Spanish, please click one of the links below and it will open in a new window with a downloadable application.
For more information about our homeownership programs, please contact Karen Parks at (970) 663-7320.
Para obtener más información acerca de nuestro programa de propiedad de vivienda, por favor póngase en contacto con Ricardo Haskins, a (970) 532-2175.